Thursday, August 13, 2009

43. Ghostbusters

43. Ghostbusters
So, when I was a kid, I owned the cassette tape soundtrack from this movie. That is how in love with this film I was. The sequel cooled my ardor but some love still remains. Ivan
Reitman, Harold Ramis, and Dan Aykroyd put together a rare gem in one of my favorite genre mixes. Its a science fiction/fantasy/comedy people. Not many exist and even fewer do it well. Of course, having Bill Murray lead the ensemble cast is a giant step in the right direction.
This movie has so many quotable lines, its
ridiculous. I love the whole scientist as superhero idea as well. I'm not going to bother recounting any plot points because if you haven't seen this movie, than you should stop reading and do so NOW. Anyone with scifi or movie geek tendencies will have seen this already. As a counter point to how awesome this movie is, let me tell you how terrible the sequel is. All of the snappy dialogue and great chemistry is replaced with wacky situations and buckets of slime. Ugh, it hurts me on the inside to dredge up the repressed memories of Ghostbusters 2. Typing the name put a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that money is a powerful motivator. I would find it difficult to turn down millions of dollars for the sake of art, but please, don't make a Ghostbusters 3. Don't "reimagine" the movie either. It is fine just the way it is. Harold Ramis, Dan Aykroyd, I'm looking at you two. People today love to beat a cash cow to death. Don't make me hate the original movie because you have buried the lovely original under a tidal wave of ill conceived sequels and shitty cartoons. Oh wait, you did that already in the 90's. OK, please stop doing that so we can forget all that crap and enjoy the original again. Please. For me.

No comments: