Wednesday, August 26, 2009

42. The Shawshank Redemption

42. The Shawshank Redemption
Of all the stories Stephen King wrote, who would have guessed that one of the few with no supernatural overtones would make my list. My bf likes to joke that if a movies doesn't have wizards in it, I won't watch it. That's close to true. Also, I'm not a fan of prison movies as a rule. This particular film transcends the genre. Tim Robbin's earnest performance and Morgan Freeman's heart-rending voice over could have made this too maudlin, but Frank Darabont does a wonderful job of keeping the tone dipping between dark and uplifting. There's a great visual style to the film as well. Even though the prison is full of men, there is a feel of isolation among the inmates. The world outside of the prison if full of bustling life and beautiful sweeping vistas. This is also the first appearance on the list of Clancy Brown who shows up at in at least 2 more of my favorite movies.

No comments: