Wednesday, January 9, 2008

50. Legend

First things first. I want to post my personal top 50 movies of all time. Please note that the order is mostly arbitrary until I get close to number one.



50. Legend
Let's start this off with a blast from the distant past! 1985 baby! Do you remember 1985? Well, all I remember is that unicorns were awesome and Tom Cruise was nobody. Legend is a delightful little gem by the great director Ridley Scott. I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan but he wasn't too annoying as the forest dwelling boy Jack and Mia Sara played the lovely Lily. The real stand out here, though, was Tim Curry as Darkness. The makeup for his character was stunning and frightening but his real power was in his voice. His delivery of the one word, innocence.... mmmmm. To hell with Tom Cruise, give me some Tim Curry! The original version released in the US features a rather bizarre soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. Intended to be more modern, it now seems dated. I have recently seen the version containing the Jerry Goldsmith score and it seem much more timeless. Some of the acting was a tad uneven and I get the feeling everything was filmed on a set. Although Scott never delivers a complete feeling world, it was the most beautifully realized fantasy movie until Lord of the Rings. Also, UNICORNS!

1 comment:

calicobebop said...

Unicorns!! I too love Tim Curry - he was so creepy I still have nightmares. Not surprising really... Too bad Tom Cruise got his teeth fixed and turned crazy! But, that's Hollywood for you!